Saturday, November 15, 2008

Mini Recap: Design Hive | Cambridge

I stopped by the weekly Design Hive quasi-flea/craft market (28 Sacramento St, Harvard Square, Cambridge) to see if I could find any must have items.

It's held in a school and is clearly marked. Upon arrival you are greeted by a hostess who let me know that the artists change every week and that you are invited to get on the list serve for more information. Admission is FREE.


There were about five booths in the hallway and then inside about 20 to 25. Nice reggae music played in the background for ambiance. The items are mostly women's items, clothes, jewelry, some things for pets, home decor and original artwork. All are hand-crafted by the artists tending the booths.

Most of the artistry is pretty hippie-esque, so don't be looking for Gucci knock-offs or anything like that. The prices are a bit higher than one might expect but most are one-of-a-kind items.


A hot ticket seems to be the spray painted purses which range from $30 -$60. They were sold out by the time I arrived but will be back next week.

In the end I found a few items that I liked but I forgot to grab some cash before I went. Most artists don't take the card for obvious reasons.


I think this is a nice Saturday stop-by event for people who live in Cambridge but not something I would go out of my way to attend again.

*Fab! Girl Tip: If you park on Mass Ave. during the daytime even on a Saturday you have to put money in the meter. I forgot :( Not Fab!