Saturday, November 15, 2008

Recap: Tara Donovan Exhibit | ICA

Me and my Fab! Friends headed to the ICA - Institute of Contemporary Art (100 Northern Avenue, Harbor Side) recently. By the way, it's FREE on Thursdays after 5:30 p.m. to see the Tara Donovan exhibit.

Artist, Tara Donovan
Photo Credit

What drew me to this exhibit in particular was that it was art using ordinary materials. I'm a big reduce, reuse, recycle kind of art fan, so this was the perfect exhibit for my taste. And I thought maybe she'd use a little recycled glass, some eco-friendly paint, maybe a toothpick here or there, but let me tell you guys I was seriously, seriously blown away!!

She actually makes a stalagmite (or stalactite - I can never remember which one grows upwards) out of buttons, and the straws...an entire wall of straws...absolutely magnificent. A unanimous favorite was the instillation with the Styrofoam cups. We stayed there for like 15 minutes just staring at the ceiling. I seriously want one in my house.

Styrofoam cups!!
Photo Credit

Plastic Cups!
Photo Credit

I highly, highly recommend that you stop by the exhibit. Get some culture! Aaand it's a great cheap date night. I'm tryin' to help y'all out. Oh and it's nice like the Museum of Fine Arts, you can talk, laugh, ask questions - just don't touch anything ;)

In addition to the Tara Donovan exhibit there are also featuring four early career artists from Greater Boston. One of my favorites was from Andrew Witkin...it's inconspicuous you think, uh - I can find this furniture at IKEA what is this about??...but after you've looked through all the stuff on dresser read the poem next to the lounge chair. It puts it all into perspective.

So get your art on at the ICA! The Tara Donovan exhibit runs until January 4th but it is FREE every Thursday and usually any other day with a student ID.

Fab!Girl Tip: I must say the ICA isn't the easiest to get to, parking wise, but if you can get to Blue Wave you can get there.

Stay Fab! :)