Sunday, August 3, 2008

Recap: Roxbury Film Festival



Friday
This nights
movie experience sadly was a disappointment. I headed out to the festival to see the dinner and a movie showing of Jellysmoke starring as my E-I-C would say "sexy-fine" Micheal Ealy.

Photo: Jellysmoke, Michael Ealy

Now, the program had said that it would start at 7 p.m. and I was a platinum pass holder so I thought that the dinner was included. UH- wrong! I would have had to pay an additional $30 and had to sit in a parking lot outside. Oh no...and the movie didn't start until 8:45 p.m. I was like - dag! Could you let a sistah know something??? I guess it was printed on some obscure website. But I was still agitated.

*Side Note: So having a bit of time me and my Fab! Friend Michelle headed to Toro (1704 Washington St.), YUMMY! Certainly stop at this tapa place when you get the chance. They don't serve Shiraz (disappointing) and if you sit at the bar they kind of rush you, but the food is yummy and the portions are large for tapas - try the patatas bravas, creamed corn or hummus. The bread is super yummy too. Stop by!

Okay so we head back to go see this movie and then we realize their aren't enough chairs for the people who just wanted to see the movie and didn't stay for the dinner. So we go into the restaurant to see if we can find more and who do we run into Micheal Ealy!! OMG!! I didn't know what to do...I didn't say anything...I KNOW. I should have said something, but I was not having a fab! moment then...okay so anyways...we finally get a seat on a bench and the movie starts and then...the movie messes up. Yup at like 15 minutes in. So they fiddled with it for a bit, then they couldn't get it to work so they announce that they were heading back to the hotel to get the extra copy.

Suffice to say, I did not see the film that night (It ended up that they did not start showing the film again until 10:15) So disappointing! Fortunately it was showing again on Saturday.

Saturday

I saw, Frankie D. (starring Sheryl Lee Ralph and Todd Bridges), Sheryl Lee Ralphs performance was very good, but I didn't like the movie overall. Then I saw a series of shorts called Where is the Love? And all of them were excellent. If you are into shorts I recommend seeking out Bold as Love, where two lost friends from Africa meet up and find healing in New York City. It's topic is very rich for a short film. Also check out Prime of Life, is an incredibly lovely story about what is a quality life in older years, very touching.

I saw a few minutes of Africa Unite a documentary about a concert in Ethiopia that brought the African Nations together to talk about Africa United as one as they celebrated the 60th birthday of Bob Marley.

My last film of the day was Jellysmoke, which I gotta admit I had only gone to see because Michael Ealy is so fine - and found this to be a really incredible film. The story is about a man who is suffering from bi-polar disorder and how he and those around him come to terms with his disease. Micheal Ealy is incredible in this film, with a James Dean like quality loosely holding a cigarette in between his lips. His haunting grey-eyes draw you into the character and you believe and are mesmerized. I also have to note the editing in this film, which takes you from heart felt drama, to romance, to suspense and you start to wonder if you, yourself are not loosing your mind!

Check out this film!!



Sunday


Since we were pass holders the pass included an awards brunch at Hibernian Hall (182, Dudley St. Roxbury). I arrived a little before 10 and the food hadn't been set up yet. There was no water, only coffee, lemonade and iced tea provided by Starbucks. Which I don't drink coffee so at 10 a.m I had a lemonade. Yuck! Then the food came out in parts first with the cold cuts, then with the hot food it was cold! I guess it had been donated from Whole Foods so all they had to do was heat it up and it was still very cold :(. They gave out awards for the films, but most of the filmmakers were not present, so it seemed a bit pointless.

But there was one very special treat. Ms. Ruby Dee was in the building!! She is like the cutest woman ever!!! And she was so gracious to let so many people take pictures of her and shake her hand, it was lovely. But overall I was disappointed with the brunch as it seemed very last minute, very disorganized and there wasn't any real benefit for regular attendees.

After that I saw another excellent film called Pray the Devil back to Hell which is about a group of women in Liberia who come together to bring peace to their country. It is a very inspirational story that shows that your voice counts and that women can work together. I cried, and rejoiced, was angered then challenged. The filmmaker did a wonderful job of showing both sides of the conflict and gave the audience a real sense of why this cause was so worth fighting for. I highly recommend you take a look.



And the last film of the festival was Steam starring Ms. Ruby Dee, and Ally Sheady (of the Breakfast Club fame). The story is about three women whose only real connection is that they meet at the steam room every week. And it parallels their lives, their struggles and ultimately their redemption. The filmmaker, Kyle Schickner, who wrote, directed and produced the film does a great job of delivering the female voice in a very honest and pure way and although not much happens in the film, per say, it is more of a testimonial or a tribute to the struggles that women go through and over come.

After the film screened, the organizers presented Ms. Dee with a declaration from the City of Boston to make August 3rd Ruby Dee Day! So cute!

Photo: Director Kyle Schickner, Ms. Ruby Dee, Ally Sheady

Photo: The Steam Audience

Photo: Ms. Dee applauding as she receives a standing ovation

Although I was disappointed by the overall organizational quality of the festival, I really enjoyed the films that I saw and would attend again, just probably not as a pass holder and do more research on the films. It was sad that there wasn't more attendance, with the exception for the sold out crowds for Of Boys and Men and Steam. I also noted that the average age of film goers was around mid 40's to early 50's. While the age of the film makers was probably in the late 20's to mid 30's. I would have liked to see more of the young people perspective represented. It was also disheartening to find yet again majority of attenders were female. Guys...don't be afraid of the museum! :)
I hope that now since you know it comes around this time every year, you will take the opportunity to support these films.

The Festival challenged me personally to think about what kind of messages that I am supporting and that where I spend my time and money could be contributing to my own demise. Sorry to get all serious on y'all, but I think we don't realize how much power we really have over the quality of our life and the way we want the world to view us.

If I have somewhat inspired you to check out some of these films, it's not too late! The Roxbury Film Festival website is still up and you can find out more information about the films, or Google them and check out their website.

Staying involved and informed is Fab! :)