Sunday, July 27, 2008

Recap: DJ Kid Capri | Johnnie's on the Side

Since it's my Fab! friend Leah's b-day on Tuesday we decided it would be Birthday Girl's choice and head to the E1 Live! Entertainment event of Johnnie's on the Side (138 Portland St, North End) with DJ Kid Capri. Now, as much as I love being on the party scene there was no way I was going to pay $30 at the door at the club so I was all about getting my tickets early. Little did I know that I would have to contact somebody via phone to get them delivered to me. I find that sooo sketchy.

So, there I am standing in Central Square in front of the Blockbuster waiting on this unidentified person who is looking for "the girl in the red shirt" with a wad of 20's burning in my pocket. Does this scenario sound familiar to you? It shouldn't!! :) Okay, yes, I got my tickets, but dag. I mean, does a girl have to feel like a crack-addict in need of a fix, just to get some daggone tickets??!! Pah-lease people, lets get a bit more fab! about ticket distribution. Thanks...

So it's the night of the party and I'm there with the crew and expected to wait in line, but apparently at 11 they had only just opened the doors. The equipment was still being unloaded so I guess they were running late.


Photo: Fab! CFO Erika, BostonFab! and Fab! Friend Alex

This was my first time at Johnnie's and I didn't realize that the place was so huge! with a well stocked and well staffed bar on the first floor. The bar literally goes the length of the hall. Although it's hard to get out of the ambiance of a sports bar, it really is a good space. There was strategic seating, enough to pause and give your feet a little rest but not too much that you would sit all night. DJ Chubby Chub had already set up his area and was givin' a chill vibe spinnin' Old Skool R&B.

Photo: BostonFab! and Fab! Friend Chanelle

I did a quick walk through of the downstairs - and found it to also be very spacious, but with a more lounge vibe. And you can't hear the music upstairs which is a problem at other venues.

The crowd that drifting in was very... colorful, we had gold lemme outfits and short shorts with heels, to jeans and skirts. I mention the ladies because there weren't that many guys in the place, I thought the dress code was strict, but I saw hats and jeans and the like, so it must not have been that strict.

Photo: The Birthday Crew w/ Birthday girl Leah on the far right

At 12 a.m the crowd was still surprisingly small and I worried that Kid Capri wasn't going to show. Upstairs, Chubbs kept to his slow R&B kick so we headed back downstairs to see if Backspin had kicked it up a notch. Glady he didn't disappoint - you're on your way back to reclaiming the title, man :). and we started to warm up our groove to island rhythms intermixed with hip hop beats. Even E1 Live! Entertainment promoter Liz, got in on the action! Love your new look! And thanks for the shout-outs man, much appreciated!

By 12:30 the downstairs was getting packed. Finally, Backspin announced that Kid was in the building which led to the exodus from the downstairs back upstairs - by that time it was 1 a.m. and the Kid apologized and really wanted to get it in by hitting us HARD with deep Hip Hop Hype Music...which was reminiscent of his set at Rumor, but much faster paced. I was dancing, dippin', leanin' back...basically going crazy, even with my feet hurtin' and you ladies know how it get when your feet hurt. The lights came on at 1:30 but he didn't stop his set until 2:03. But he really didn't want to leave. He was hype! Kindly he went into the crowd for photo ops and I even saw him getting a few phone numbers too...ummmm hmmm. Ain't mad atcha!

Photo: Kid Capri, just warming up

Photo: The Crowd, lovin' Kid's every move.

Photo: Fab! Friend Alex, DJ Kid Capri and BostonFab!

All in all the night started off SLOOOOWWW, thought it had some to do with the promotion it also had to do with the crowd showing up late and of course Kid's waaaay tardy entrance. At the end of the night I gotta give this event a solid B+ because I paid $20 for about an hour of a good time.

*Side Note*: I cannot do this review without mentioning that only moments after your girl and her Fab! friends left Johnnie's on the Side there was a terrible shooting, where about 6 shots were fired leaving a victim in critical condition. And later a stabbing leaving two victims with injuries that may be linked also to the party. As there are many contributing factors that lead to these altercation one cannot blame the management or the promotion company, but we do know that this incident not only effects the lives of the victims, but all of us party-goers who go out to have a good time. What one person does, affects all of us.

The BostonFab! Team's hearts goes out to the victims and their families and hope that the perpetrators are brought to justice.

It won't stop until WE stop it.

For more information please click here

Peace, Luv, and Fab!