Sunday, July 27, 2008

Recap: The Code Red Affair | Om

I was excited about heading to Om (92 Winthrop St., Harvard Square, Cambridge) for my first Status Promotions event, Code Red Affair as I really wanted to check out this venue. I arrived early, 'cuz you know I don't do lines, around 11, and they were still catering to the dinner crowd as this local hang out spot. The patio and the large window panes were open making it an outdoor/indoor experience all in one.

I got carded by the bouncer who reminded me of the $15 cover charge. There was no list so I don't know why they had previously asked people to RSVP and that the price of entrance would go up as the night went on. Which it didn't...Interesting.

Photo: The downstairs area

After my signature photo with photo man Daniel, I walked past two young ladies and one of them grabbed me...yes put her hands on me...to remind me to pay the cover charge. 1st off...They were in a dark corner so it was hard to see them. 2nd off the fact that you have to grab people to remind them of the cover charge with an attitude shows the lack of organization to ensure the promo group gets their money. 3rd...Don't be puttin' your hands on people. I'm nice...but...others might not have been so nice.

Trying to get over my "assault" ;) I surveyed the crowd and it was really mixed, I think most if not all of the nationalities were represented. The dance floor was very cool a nice rectangle surrounded by long couches. The entire restaurant/lounge is Asian influenced decorated with bamboo, water falls with back-lighting, Red lights at the bar, dark walls, and a large Asian influenced paintings on the far wall. Very Fung Shui. Very sexy.

Photo: International crowd kinda having a good time

At the bar I got my signature, but it tasted watered down and was and set me back $12. I proceeded to the upstairs and found the colors to be the opposite of downstairs, probably keeping with the yin and yang style as the room is white. There is a long black couch which was great for when you just wanted to chill out. But the bar was placed in an awkward corner right above the stairs. The room is also L-shaped, so if you stopped short of the dance area you would think it was a lot smaller than it is and wouldn't see the rest of the area which has are large picture windows that line the street facing the outside. Tre sheik.

The crowd that had come for the party seemed to all know each other and averaged age was probably 22. My pre-conceived notion of Status Promotions was that it would draw a younger crowd that got down and had a good time. This was not the case. I felt like I was at a prep-school dance or a networking mixer - not a Friday night out. Upstairs they all sipped on their drinks, chit chatted and gossiped about who was dating who (I sorta eaves dropped) and squealed when they saw somebody they knew. Nobody was really dancing. But they did dress tastefully so I guess there is still some hope for the next generation :)

Photo: The upstairs crowd chillin and lookin' good

Downstairs wasn't much better. Don't get me wrong , some people were gettin' it in but for the most part, people were content chatting and two-stepping and only got "hype" when DJ Fanatic played a remix of Neo...oookay. I, think perhaps having the mixed crowd of regulars with party-goers added to the confusion of how to act.

Overall DJ's Fanatic and G-Wiz were ookay...but did nothing spectacular or memorable. There was some issue getting the sound to transmit upstairs, which made have contributed to the lack of dancing.

I almost called this party a wrap at 1 a.m. 'til I saw one of the Fab! Fans Chris, who let me crash his crew and chit chatted with me ...thanks man...you made my night! Also a big THANK YOU!! for the "other thing";) which, I won't post the exact details of to preserve your rep ;), but will just say - ladies, this guy is a TRUE gentleman.

Photo: Fab! Fan "Gentleman" Chris and BostonFab!

Also, my man Edgar of So Good Entertainment stopped by. This cat has been off the scene for a minute, but promises a new wave of nightlife is coming so be on the look out.

The ambiance of this place should definitely be utilized by other promoters...hint-hint ;) as it is ultra sexy and has a lot of potential. As for this particular party 'eh....if you had never been to a party before, you might of had a good time. But as for me...it was just ok. I give it a C+/B-.

Stay Fab! :)