Sunday, July 27, 2008

Recap: Red Sky

I was too through with the incidents of Saturday/Sunday morning, but still felt compelled to support my man, Sammy aka "Mr. West" on his first venture on his own at a spot in Boston. (And just in case you were wondering ladies, he is back in Beantown on a permanent basis.)

I showed up at around 11 with my roommie who hardly ever goes out and refused to be photographed (such a herb)...but we took a nice seat at the bar thanks to some ladies moving over to make room.

The scene was pretty quiet. I really liked The Red Sky (15 North St, Fanuiel Hall). As it was my first time actually going into the place, I discovered the lounge area towards the front and the pillars that lit up the place, which made the spot very appealing. There was plenty of space to sit down and have a chat and if you were brave enough to dance, there was space for that too.

This place, like some others, doesn't have a DJ permit, so the sounds were a mixed selection that was pretty good.*Side Note: Um...certain DJ's I need you to start selling your mix tapes...you know who you are....hint-hint. ;)

Sammy did deliver on his promises. Prior to my arrival the playboy models handed out energy drinks and gave away t-shirts. And I did get a free corona complete with a lime. You're off to a good start.... :)

Photo: My Fab! roomies and my drinks...free Corona's

The crowd was friendly. I met a soon-to-be Fab! fan Ryan who suggested I put a drop of tabasco sauce in the Corona bottle to give it a little kick. I actually kinda liked it. My roommate also has a San Antonio way of drinking a Corona: Take an extra lime, rub it on the neck of the bottle. Then shake salt around the rim of the bottle. Lick the salt off of the bottle on your way to taking a sip. It's a little un-lady like, but it tastes pretty good. I would have posted the pic of me doing it but...yeah. Not something you want to do in front of a lot of people. They may get ideas. :)

Photo: Corona... the San Antonio way.

Okay so back to the party:

As for my other drink choices I did get the Fab-o-lini ($10), which was nasty. It's strawberry and champagne and didn't appeal to my palate. Still, the drinks were reasonably priced at $8. The bartenders were a bit sloppy, dressed in sweatshirts, hoodies and were just slow and distracted...one of them forgot to take my money twice.

The crowd never got poppin' but hey it was a Sunday night, people had to work... and last nights shooting took place only a few blocks away, which may have deterred people as well. Although it never really got packed, people seemed to flow easily in and out and were conversing and mingling. Towards the end of the night, there was even a bit of dancing. It was also nice to see other promoters such as Klutch and K. Pritty who came out in support.

For Sammy's first event I give it a B+. He did what he was suppos'd to do, as far as delivering what he promised but by making it a guest list only night, it may have hurt his chances at a larger crowd.

Overall I had a good time. Watch out...Sammy is comin' for y'all :)

See you at the next one! Stay Fab! :)