Monday, November 24, 2008

Recap: The Moonlight Affair II | Hyatt Regency Cambridge


Kenneth of Nior Marketing Group invited me to The Moonlight Affair II at the Hyatt Regency Cambridge. The night started out with music by Jason Hunt and the Boys who played jazzy renditions of songs like Cee-Lo's "Crazy" and Busta Rhymes.

After a bit of the music we got into the heart of the evening with our host and featured poet Black Ice. He was quite the comedian throughout the evening randomly shouting out "We have a black president" and being side-tracked by any little noise or conversations near the stage.

Host poet Black Ice
The crowd attentively listening to the poetry

The poets included - I know y'all will let me know if I mispelled something - Derick Thomas, Ashley Solomon - I loved her piece "On the Otherside of Ruggles", Shea Butter see her piece below, Wendy Sanchez - um yeah...let's just say she's very very descriptive, Bless Robinson and Naboo.

Ashley Solomon


Shey Butta

Wendy Sanchez

What I really loved about the evening was the ambiance. Everyone was dressed to the 9's - women in furs, cocktail dresses and stilettos over a gorgeous back drop of the Boston's skyline. People toted glasses of wine and martini's moreso than Jack and Coke's - not that there's anything wrong with that mind you, but it was nice to have a different sort of night. You feel me? And the poetry was very thought provoking. It was nice to be able sit back, relax, relate and enjoy as theese people shared pieces of their souls.

After the poetry we segued into music by vocalist Henry Smith now he introduced himself as a security guard at a maximum security prision somewhere in New England...so the guy has the whole Tank thing going on. I thought his songs were a bit catchy, a few good beats, he is very easy on the eyes, but didn't wow, dazzle me. Just my opinion.


Next up was clearing the dance floor for DJ Sky and "Hype Man" now 'y'all know I don't like to hear a lot from the DJ, so adding a hype man is obviously going to irritate me. But hey, I got int the music as much as I could, he was heavy on the reggae and carribean beats mixed in with a bit of Top 40. In the beginning there were a few technical difficulties as the equipment blew a fuze which left the room at a crickets hault for a few minutes. Fortunately the problem was fixed and didn't happen again the rest of the night. The transitions were marginal. And he changed up songs entirely too fast, so that was a bit frustrating.


People getting back into it after the fuze was fixed.

Towards the middle of the evenin there was another performance by America's Best Dance Crew's Status Quo...by that time I was at the back of the room, so I couldn't take any photos, but people seemed to enjoy the performance. I think it was a little bit odd to have a dance performance in the middle of the club and then go back to dancing, but it seemed to work out just fine for the masses.

Stopped to pose with poet Black Ice

The crowd kept going...

Fab! Friend Nicole poses with poet Black Ice

I really enjoyed a full evening experience, from live music, to poetry to dance to dancing...you really were entertained and felt very special and catered to. Kenneth and Herby were running around, making sure the guests were having a good time, and I really appreciated their efforts.

Some room for improvement - though slight - TURN UP THE HEAT! If you are going to highly suggest cocktail dresses make sure it's warm enough for us to wear them. I wanted to keep my sweater on the entire time and I have a serious cough now. ;). Also work on the lighting, the lights kept going up, then down, then up then down. I didn't know if it was on a timer or what, but it was kinda irritating.

But those suggestions really shouldn't take a way from the fabulous night that you guys put on - I sincerely commend you.

A-.