Monday, September 1, 2008

Recap: Perfection | Umbria


Me and my lovely BostonFab! Photographer and Fab! Friend Deniece headed out to the Perfection party at Umbria (295 Franklin St. Financial District) and found all the buzz to be in that area. There was a boat cruise taking off near the harbor, white outfits scattered through the streets; big ups to the gal sporting a royal blue belt with matching pumps - fierce!

BostonFab! Photographer Deneice looking absolutely fab!

It was nice to enter Umbria on the first floor and not be directed first to the 2nd. The bar area is actually very nice and seems like a great after-work spot. People on this floor were getting registered to vote and proudly wearing their Obama pins. Good look!

After checking this floor out we headed up the long flight of stairs to the 2nd floor where they were playing international music I'm actually starting to like Zouk. :)

BostonFab!

I was a bit concerned as the place was pretty empty around 11:30 and by 12 I was really worried. The only thing that kept me there was the fact that there were a lot of tables with names on them and with the price that it costs to buy a table one would think that they would actually show up. Surprisingly by 12:30 you couldn't even get onto the 3rd Floor!! And it was said to be was at capacity. Which I am not sure I actually believe.

The at capacity 3rd floor...I see a lot of empty space...

The crowd...oh wow...although it was not racially diverse it sure was culturally diverse -heavy on the stunna shades and corn rows. There was no dress code. I was a bit heated that I had worn a nice dress as I really could have been gigin' in some Pumas and jeans. And sorry to say most people were a flamin' hot mess. I will not be rude and point specific people out...but you should know better. Just because it covers your behind does not make it appropriate to be worn in public! Panties are to be worn UNDER the clothes...your "lala" or "tonga" should be shared with that special someone not whilst your being gyrated on in the back of a club...let's work on this women!!

BostonFab! and BostonFab! Photographer Deneice

As for the dudes, most of y'all took the laid back approach, which again - had they said that the dress code was going to be laid back I would have been all for it. Just don't say something is upscale and then let people in wearing jeans - can't stand false advertising. For real. And there were madd dudes!! The male conduct was a bit too touchy feely for my taste. Please learn that approaching a female takes finesse, style and respect - if you want to have a lady in your life - treat her like one - thanks.

Get it Liz!!

The music was on point DJ Playtime did a really good set. And it was actually innovative. Mixing the 50's version of Lollipop with Lil' Wayne was something I certainly hadn't heard before. I really liked that it was a performance rather than just playing song after song, though some songs could have been a bit longer. I did think he could have done a better job of cooling the party down instead of leaving us a bit hyped. Needless to say I avoided the let out... But I really did like his performance - great job.

DJ Playtime

The security was on it, and did their best to control the crowd, though once the 3rd Floor reached capacity proved to be a bit more difficult. And I was certainly watching my surroundings as I saw some people get a bit out of control with it. Or pop off out the mouth like it was nothing...smh.

The dancing was a lot of fun, though I didn't like having to watch my behind (literally) every five minutes. The party didn't really jump off 'til around 1 a.m. and the crowd...well I just never quite found where I fit in. I give this party a C+/B-.

BostonFab! and Fab! Fan Kurt

PS. Shout out to Fab! Fan Kurt - the website I was thinking about for reggae in Boston is http://www.bostonfete.com/ also Big City Radio 101.3 FM posts events here! If anyone else has advice for Kurt please leave it in the comment box below. Thanks for reading and saying hi!
Stay Fab! :)