Sunday, August 24, 2008

Recap: Royale at Umbria


After getting a lil' lost (okay very lost) trying to pick up BostonFab! Correspondent Chanelle - never did make it and she drove in on her own - sorry girlfriend -next time I promise! I finally found parking and boy was I runnin' down the street in my 4 inchers!! I got into the club around 11:15 p.m. - whew!! I was so scared I was going to miss the deadline!

When I got inside we headed to the check in table and the girl at the door -not someone I recognized - already looked overwhelmed. For the first time I had forgotten to bring my pre-paid ticket receipt and was called out on it. Already agitated from my run down the street I looked at the girl like "is there gonna be a problem?" so I apologize sweetie, mama's feet were hurtin'! :) Fortunately Chanelle had hers so we slided in on that.

BostonFab! and BostonFab! Correspondent Chanelle

After that slight drama :) I found out there was no need to worry - wasn't hardly anybody in there. I was kinda taken aback - Did they stress the be there on time a bit too much- perhaps? Or have the long lines turned from a blessing to a curse?

The smaller crowd gave me the chance to take in the scenery as I love the ambiance of Umbria anyhow. I headed to the bar to get my drink on floor 4 and the bartenders were very friendly and nice. The one who make Fab! CFO Erika's drink even topped off her apple martini almost giving her a 2 for 1 - which was very important for a $12 drink - dag. As for me I got my typical vodka tonic, but when I got soda water instead of tonic water - amature mistake - she made sure she checked the fountain spigot, checked with the other bartender and happily made me another. Thanks.

Let's talk for a moment about the "other scenery"...the men. Although there were significantly less of them than the woman I didn't even care 'cuz there was some serious deliciousness going on...hats, suits, and some serious swagger, - I kept thinking - will the real K. Pritty please stand up? hee-hee j/k but seriously though...I had some serious heart palpitation issues. As for the women...ladies! How you gonna let the men out shine you?! I know it is the last days of summer and all and it maybe your last time to pull out the skin tight tube dress, but....ladies leave a lil' something to the imagination! Okay there were some of y'all were looking really nice for real tho, - there was this one grey chiffon layered dress I was really feelin'. Good look, hun.

Looking good...but slow to get on the dance floor. By 12:15 I was getting a little worried that the party wasn't going to jump off as the dance floor was still sparse. DJ Backspin was doin' his thing giving out shout outs (thanks!) and reminding us - yo - the dance floor is open...

The crowd finally getting into it

Finally people started workin' it. The cool temperature soon heated up as couples started grinding and pumpin' to the rhythm. Maybe y'all need to let a few drinks settle in before you can really let loose and get out there...

*Fab! Girl Tip: Be ware of the freaky wall. If you want to get freaky head towards the back mirrored wall...if you don't want to get freaky stay away!!...they will draw you in and assume that you want to be a part of the mayhem...stay away I say...stay away ;)

BostonFab! Correspondent Chanelle, Fab! CFO Erika

Backspin kept with a more Caribbean, Latin vibe which was cool that he was in support of Carnival that had happened earlier in the day. For me being a full blooded African American, I could of used a little bit more of my Hip Hop and R&B...but I guess I can get that any other night. And I learned some new songs with the Haitian music. Thanks for sharing your singing voice will us Backspin - you're a natural - lol.

I was a bit disappointed however in the transitions. There were several times when I completely stopped on the dance floor to catch the next beat. I dunno what was going on...all in all it was an okay set, but not the best that I've heard from him. I did like how the crowd got in on the action a lot and were screaming and singing their hearts out...unity is a good thing. Towards the end even K. Pritty and J.Francois were feeling that Zouk - private party!! lol...

The party came to an end around 2 a.m. but the security was very nice to let people mingle and slowly make their way out without the usual "TIME TO GO HOME!!" shouting. They even helped a sistah down the several flights of stairs - and just for the record it was THE SHOES not the DRINKS that made me wobbly. Thanks :)

BostonFab! Correspondent Chanelle, Fab! CFO Erika, BostonFab!

All in all it was a good time, had by all I give it a B+.