Sunday, August 31, 2008

Recap: 3 Year Anniversary | Mojitos


I hadn't planned on going out on Friday, but you know me- always on the job :) My Fab! Roomie Claudia invited me out to Mojitos (48 Winter St, Downtown Crossing) by saying the magic word - FREE. Her Fab! Friend Stephanie had rec'd an e-mail for free entry and free drinks. Little did I know that this was actually the 3 year anniversary party of the Latin club and my first time to the spot.

Upon entry there was this crazy pungent smell like sewage mixed with body odor. Downtown Crossing always has that kind of funky smell, but this was really nasty. The upstairs wasn't open yet so we headed downstairs to get our free drinks. They were all tropical, I had a Passion one that was actually pretty good and then I had their version of an apple martini - that had absolutely no alcohol in it. You probably would have had to drink 10 of either of those drinks to get a buzz, but I can't be ungrateful. I did end up getting another drink, a grey goose and tonic for $10 which was equally watered down *ah well at least I wasn't thirsty. :) ...


At the bar waiting for the free drinks

Downstairs they were playing bachata and reggaton, and my fab! friends had a good time trying out their steps. I surveyed the room for hotties and found a few. I love how salsa brings so many different cultures together there were Black, White, Asian, Latino and everything else in between. One love y'all one love.

Fab! Friends practicing their skills

Upstairs the crowd was smaller than, I think they felt a hit from the holiday weekend 'cuz I've hear this place usually gets packed fast. The temperature was very cool, which I was annoyed about at first but by the my 3rd "paso doble" I was grateful. Shout out to my dance partner Haan - good lookin' out.

Fab! Friend Stephanie, Fab! Roomie Claudia, BostonFab!, BostonFab! Fan David

The DJ was good, but stuck with classic songs by Elvis Crespo, DMG, and Mark Anthony, which since it had been a while since my salsera days I was grateful, the rest of the crowd wasn't all that into it, though it really depended on the song. The crowd also was a little funny. Usually at a salsa club unless a man is ultra creepy you dance with him, but gals were turning down guys left and right. I would have danced more, but I got a little wore out - need to do more cardio at the gym. I did get to meet Herby of Poetic Escape - it was his first time there too!

My thoughts on Mojitos, if you are curious about salsa dancing and want to give it a try I think Mojitos is a great place for beginners. There are a lot of friendly people who are willing to help you out and teach you the basics and it's pretty economical :)

Fab! Friend Stephanie getting her first lessons

I give it a solid B. But they really gotta work on the septic tank issues - talk about ew!