Sunday, June 15, 2008

Recap: Facing Love II | Hbernian Hall | 9 Alarms Entertainment

When I got to Hibernian Hall (182 Dudley St, Roxbury) I (arrived around 7:30). I thought that the flyer had advertised for a start of 6, but the elevator sign showed it starting at 7 p.m. They know how we are :) LOL.

Once at the door I rec'd a popular song compelation CD (not sure of the revelance), and was encouraged, but not pressed to contribute $10. I assume the donations were to offset the cost of the food and hall rental, but I wasn't sure.

The food was served shortly after and though I did not partake, it looked good! Plenty of chicken wings and fresh fruit, salads. People sho' nuff filled up their plates! It was completely wiped out by 8:15!


They kicked off the discussion with poetry by Warrior and moderator Sistah Lisa. Who both shared inspiring and thoughtful prose appreciating black love. The panelist were called to the stage by host Salih around 8:30. Panelist included, a psychologist, a Muslim religious teacher, a social worker and two surprise panelists - a husband and wife counseling team.

The audience was invited to participate in an interactive exercise when volunteers wrote on a flip chart their ideas of what men think women want and what women think men want. They shared the results with the group and the moderators referenced the findings throughout the evening.

The most poignant question discussed was "Should black women be proactive about finding a mate?" Some said yes, some said no...some said we are already pro-active. With no real consensus another topic ensued about if both black women and black men want spirituality what does that mean? This discussion produced the common theme of loving yourself first before you are able to love anyone else.

The funniest of comments of the evening was the "lonely revolutionary" Jahmal Crawford who is 37 (and an Aquarius) :) and wonders why the pimp, the crack head, and the homeless man all have a girlfriend and he doesn't. Talk about comedy!!

I also noted the no-so-hidden agenda of the surprise panelists who plugged their book every chance they got. People wore T-shirts in support of their businesses or upcoming events. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could come to an event and put the holistic agenda before our personal one?

We're not there yet, I guess.

Photo of Hibernian Hall: Photo credit

I did leave the discussion around 9:15 and they had purposed to stay until 10:30 so I can't say what happened after I left. And I didn't make it to Facing Love I so I can't really compare the two. Having that said, I found the discussion to be entertaining and more of a platform to share individual belief systems rather than a coming together of thought to find solutions and bring healing - as the moderators previously described.

Clearly, the topic of black female and male relationships is not one that can be discussed over a 3 hour session and be resolved. Especially when the audience is female dominated by about 95% .

But, I suppose one cannot blame them for trying.

Stay fab! :)