Friday, April 25, 2008

Recap: The Spring Preview | S.U.E.D.E | The Good Life

I rolled up to the Good Life (28 Kingston St, Downtown Crossing) a quarter to 12 and was immediately met with a line (I thought my reservation guaranteed no waiting in line?) but I guess that was unrealistic. Still, the wait was only about 5 minutes so I really can’t complain. I got my free drink ticket and headed downstairs.


This lounge (okay...I get it Boston + lounge = small) had a decent crowd and filled up quickly. I noticed a lot of people from Harvard, which would make sense since the promoters are in the Law School, so it was a very similar, almost identical, to the crowd at Z-Square.

*Side story*: Some guy gave me a business card to "keep-in-touch" and I really thought it was for business, but when I read it it said “Harvard African American Studies, Doctoral Candidate” Seriously?? Okay I know we're BYP and all…but if you are at a (pretty much) Harvard party…how you gonna bring a card about going to Harvard – pah-lease get over yourself.

(Photo: To give you an idea of the size of the lounge, people pictured were not the party crowd Photo credit: www.goodlifebar.com)

Anyways… yeah so the crowd, especially the dudes, were really willin’ on the I-attend-Harvard -ish…I wasn't feeling that at all. But the party itself was cool. I did get my free drink, but by the time I got it they were only serving wine, which was kind of a bummer, but whatever, it was free.

The music was slammin’! They didn’t shout out the DJ or else I would give him mad props. He was REALLY good and people were really trying to dance. Now…the air conditioning…ummm...was non-existent. That was a serious issue that needed to be fixed pronto - people were not cute sweating out their perm and press. Not a good look.

(Photo credit: www.goodlifebar.com)

The venue, as loungey as it was, was waaaaay too small. People were not only sweaty but falling on top and over one another, which had this not been a Harvard crowd, could have caused some serious issues. (i.e. some chick gets hit with a bottle).

Sooooo for S.U.E.D.E.'s premier event, I'd say they did a really good job. They got people to come out, the ratio was good and for the most part people had a good time. But if they want their crowd to be more than just another Harvard party, they’re gonna need to step up their game to ensure that the venue is appropriate and all of their patrons have a good time, not just their friends.

I give this party a B -