Sunday, April 20, 2008

Recap: Classic Friday’s at Z-Square

So after several weeks of numerous texts, e-mails and phone calls from So Good Entertainment asking us to PLEASE come back! Fab! CFO Erika and I headed out to Classic Fridays (Previously called Off the Wall Fridays) at Z Square (14 JFK St, Cambridge).  I have to admit I was a bit skeptical since we had gone to Classic Fridays several months ago at another location and it was... well – wack, but everyone deserves a second chance, right?


We showed up early enough that entrance to the party was free, although the flyer advertised that it was $10. The promoter, Edgar was also supposed to be passing out free shots, but with all the running around he was doing that never materialized. Did I mention that I hate false advertising?!

There was a pretty decent young crowd (the average age was around 22) though they might as well be called Harvard Friday’s as ninety percent of the patrons were Harvard affiliated. The vibe was very chill, almost too chill. I felt kind of awkward...almost like I was at a cocktail party and should of brought a date. Everyone seemed to know one another and if they didn’t they weren’t really open to meeting anyone new. Still, this was the first time in a long time that I showed up to any place in jeans, a cardigan with my glasses on and still had a decent time dancing and socializing. Big ups to the “Men with Jobs” who got our drinks for the night. One time for Cordell!!

DJ Eight-Two did his thing and played mostly reggae. The unfortunate thing is that he has the tendency to cut songs off right as they were getting good (boo!). To sum it up, there was a lot of standing around and drinking, and not very much dancing.

I would recommend this place as a Friday night alternative when you just want to come as you are and have a drink with friends – though you might need to bring your own.

Stay Fab! :)