Monday, January 14, 2008

Recap: 33 Lounge | Essence Thursday's

I stopped by 33 Lounge (33 Stanhope Street) to check out The Red Carpet Production's Red Carpet party. First impression: 33 Lounge is nestled on a back street of the Back Bay and wasn't easy to access. There was NO red carpet and the bouncers were more interested in criticizing what people were wearing then checking I.D.'s.

Although I had previously contacted Red Carpet Productions to be on the list, my name was no where to be found. Thanks to the friendly woman at the door, I only had to pay a $5 cover instead of $10.

The venue is gorgeous with lit bars and private comfortable areas to lounge . The first floor was Techno and of course the Hip-hop lounge is in the basement. Woah! The living room in my apartment is bigger than this place!!!! The D.J. was stuffed in the corner with one large bench with 4 tables in front of it. I can't believe they advertised that you could reserve a table at this place - are you kidding???

The bar service was SLOW with only one bartender and a source was offended by the topless women photos that aligned the far walls...I thought this was supposed to be a classy place? As the crowd dwindled around 12 a.m. we decided to call this party a wrap.

---

Essence Thursdays at the Sunshine Lounge in Cambridge is a very nice venue (pic below), but the crowd.... if you can even call it that was ...very very young. Even though the place had maybe 20 people - they made us pay the $10 cover. But I guess they gotta make that money.

(Photo: 'People' at Sunshine Lounge)

Only five people were on the dance floor but DJ Eighty-Two held his own on the turn tables, playing more dirty-south than New York hits. Edgar of So Good Entertainment tried his best to hype the crowd, but had a marginal effect.


My advice to my readers...save your money. Try a happy hour on Thursday's instead. You're Fab girl will work on finding the right spot. And to the promoters why don't yall work on throwing an event together instead of divinding an already small crowd??

Trying to do it BIG this MLK Weekend?? Stay tuned for BostonFab! Girl's picks later this week.

' Til then keep it fab baby.