Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Recap: Soweto Gospel Chior | Symphony Hall

I tried a “Do Differently” this Sunday and headed out to see the Soweto Gospel Choir at Symphony hall. I had not even heard of the group before Larae Junior, Associate Director of Marketing and Sales for the Celebrity Series of Boston contacted me to do a write up. I learned , that they are multi-award winning gospel choir group based out of South Africa and tour about 9 months out of the year.

As I entered the hall – uh- late! Guess I’m still used to club times, not to mention that parking was murda. But as I entered the hall I thought that the place would be minimally crowded for a 3 p.m. show time, but it was wall to wall packed!

When I got to my seat I thought I would see a large group as the sound from the foyer indicated, but instead I saw twenty brightly (I’m talking neo y’all) dressed people in African themed garb and headdresses. And they were just…jovial, joyful. Smiles on their faces, dancing and singing. My heart was immediately lifted from the fight I had outside to find parking and was engulfed in this session of praise.


With 19 songs (24 including the encore!) they definitely delivered a full show. The thing I liked the most was how everyone had a part to play. Everyone was featured in some way, whether in song, or dance, or playing the drums - it seemed like every person and the group could play any role. Incredible!

Some of my favorites renditions were “This Little Light of Mine” the male soprano – killed his part! If I hadn’t been in Symphony Hall I may have had to throw my ‘kerchief at ‘em! :). Then in the piece “Nomalanga” they had a portion where they were two featured dancers were kicking and I’m almost positive they were kicking over their heads …their own heads…repeatedly. But I would have to say my absolute favorite part would be the “Table Scene” aka: “Canteen” which also highlighted the men, but used the utensils as instruments while singing acapella.

This is certainly a show that appeals to any age, or creed for that matter, high energy, with something for everyone to enjoy. I highly suggest that you check out their website to see when they’ll be back again – heck you may even want to travel for this show - click here! for concert listings. Def. Fab!

Thanks again Larae! :)
For more events brought to you by the Celebrity Series of Boston click here!!