Thursday, December 4, 2008

Recap: John Legend | Orpheum Theater

I hadn't planned on going to the John Legend concert since I'd seen him before, but when my obsessed fan and Fab! Friend Michelle told us there was a way for us to see the show and meet John Legend and support a great cause I was all for it! Shout outs to Road Manager Savannah!

After passing out flyers for his Show Me Campaign we headed to our seats to first hear opening act Vaughn Anthony who is actually John's younger brother recently signed with his label Home School along with new artist Estelle. The main challenge of getting Vaughn's career to take off is that he sounds so much like John...duh their brothers. But I've met the guy on another occasion and they seem to be complete opposites. I think there's room for both of 'em in this industry. He also sings back up. Total crush on the man...if you couldn't tell, but unlike his brother he is most certainly TAKEN.

His songs are available on I-Tunes and he performed my favorite "Wish you were here" and tore it up! I heart you Vaughn! ;)

"How I wish you were here...."um I'm here...row 15...

After his set came Rafael Saadiq...I kinda forgot who he was...yeah I know I am so wack! But when he came on with his rockabilly self, his back up dancers in suits and so animated I was like ooookay. I can get into this. Then when he took his shirt off and tucked it in...I dunno that hit me for some reason. Maybe it was the tattoos and the glasses...whatever, but the song that is still on my mind is "Love That Girl." Perfect warm up for the man of the hour.

Rafael Saadiq stylin'

Rafael Saadiq takin' it off!!!

John did an uncanny entrance by coming in through the crowd at the base of the auditorium and was walked onto the stage in leather jacket and shades. He had this whole confident almost stand-offish kind of vibe, much more so than previous concerts I had attended where his raw musical talent shined through. Here were flashing lights stages, costume changes, and different placements. It wasn't bad, just another evolution of his music.

Right after John hit the stage

He kept us hype throughout the evening first hitting us with classics of "She don't have to know" and mixing it up with "I can change" then a little bit of "Stereo"...for a minute there we were in hyper drive. I couldn't catch my seat even if I wanted to!

John lets Vaughn take the spotlight for a moment
.

Getting intimate on "Everybody Knows..." I got this one on repeat in my Nano.

Final number "If You're Out There"

After the amazing show we were invited back for a meet and greet. It really was us getting in a line and getting to take either a picture or an autograph. Very regimented, very quick. Completely opposite from the Common listening party. They wanted us out with a quickness and you could tell he was absolutely exhausted. But at least I got to say hey. Although my "heart" still belongs to Vaughn ;)

BostonFab! and John Legend

Shout outs to those who had better seats than me...YBWS, Alicia and 9 Alarms, Salih - sorry the seats were so tight for ya man. :) See you at Dwele? (Jan. 23)

Stay Fab! :)