Friday, November 14, 2008

Recap: Grand Opening Lounge 33 | 33 Lounge

When I found out heavy hitters Upper Echelon Events, Matthew Entertainment, R.O.B., The A-List, and Downtimeoneline were joining forces to host a weekly grown-folks event I was like “Uh-what took y’all so long?”

There have been several nights started at 33 Lounge (33 Stanhope St, Back Bay) that haven’t proved to have much success. Perhaps it's the tucked away location, ‘cuz the ambiance is bangin’ and it's one of the few lounge establishments that actually has a designated dance floor.

My Fab! Friend Jax and I arrived after a quarter to 12 to give the scene a chance to blossom. The night was working against them with bad weather, a Patriots home game and competition with the established crowds of Whiskey Park and District. With all those factors, I still thought the size of the crowd was decent. Their greatest numbers peaked around 12:30.

Fab! Friend Jax and BostonFab!

The vibe was crazy nice. It was grown but it wasn’t stank. Women wore what they felt would be appropriate, whether that meant a cute top with some jeans or a bubble dress or a full out prom dress. It was certainly a “do you, but do it well” kinda vibe. And same for the men -lots of newsboy hats. Nice. The music selection also contributed to the grown folk-ness with sexy R&B classics, a touch of reggae and a few latest hits…no Lil’ Wayne but a lil’ T-Pain brought to you by DJ Eight2 – still the smoothest DJ – didn’t say nuttin’ all night. So focused. Love it.

Keepin' it sexy on the dance floor

And ladies there were some dudes there. And for a while they outnumbered the ladies! Lookin’ good, smellin’ good, dancing…okay so maybe it was like five or six dancing, but that's okay. And none of that grind over you while you’re sitting on the couch…there was space between the dancers and no hard feelings if you needed to take a break.

Evidence: Men do dance in Boston

Fab! Suggestions for Improvement: Make the dance floor a little cooler towards the night, after all that dancing you get HOT!! Temperature situations can be so fickle. I also strongly suggest opening the coat check. The “VIP” section closest to the dance floor looked more like the bottom of my closet than a comfortable spot to chill. I also recommend the staff do a revamp on their customer service skills. I know with so many promoters on one night errrbody tryin’ to get the hook-up but there is a way to be courteous to people and still do your job. We are in a recession and I do not have to be here, which means you do not have to be employed. Thanks.

I do have to give props to the bartenders for changing out the tonic water when I told them it was flat and making me another drink. That was very courteous - thank you.

Fab! Fan and friend Greg

BostonFab! and Darius of Downtimeonline

But don’t let my suggestions detour you from going out ‘cuz I certainly got my dance on and broke a sweat. The promoters were very courteous and made sure people were having a good time, so kudos! Definite A - even if it’s for the vibe alone. You kept askin’ for it Boston, but will you actually show up? I’m jus sayin…

Next week (and I believe in the weeks following) will be no cover! So, if you’re looking to check out something different, that's grown but feel-good, where people have fun and actually (gasp!) dance...then this is the spot for you. :)

BostonFab! and the legendary Eddie Cue

Fab! Approved!