Sunday, November 30, 2008

Recap: Alpha Kappa Alpha Pink Onyx | Vinalia

I had never been to an AKA party in Boston so when I heard they were having a semi-formal at Vinalia named Pink Onyx (tre shiek!) I thought I'd see how the ladies do it.

I was a bit turned off by the pricey covercharge of $25 in advance $30 at the door, but when I heard part of the proceeds were going to one of their philanthropies I felt a little better. When I checked in I was glad I brought my pre-paid reciept - never can be too careful these days - and rec'd a faux credit card with the name of the party on it. I thought it was very cute, but then I was like - if this was part of the overage they charged me $25 for - they can keep it! I mean it really served no other purpose than a party favor. Ah well...

Fab! Friend Jax and BostonFab!

At the bar they had a special selection of martini's and drinks. The Pink Onyx, The Pink Lady, AKA Tini and a Mocktail of the Pinklady. I stayed with The Pink lady which had orange liquor, raspberry liquor, maybe strawberry vodka and champagne. That thing was good! And you looked good drinking it too as it came in a champagne glass.

Fab! Friend Jax

The tables were adorned with white linen and pink and green confetti, more balloons. I kinda felt like I was back in high school for a minute, but it did give it a flair of festivity.

BostonFab!

The crowd was mostly 25+ some even in their late 40's and early 50's. Evening gowns, and cocktail dresses were the norm, although a few stragglers came in with jeans. Black with pink accents were the highlight. Although the men were lookin' good in their suits, the men were very much so - taken - by the rings on their hands or the women on their arms, so I stuck to my girls for fear or ending up in a triangle :)

Sooooul Train!

The night did start off slow the music was good, but people seemed to want to stay in cocktail hour mode as long as possible. Finally DJ Reggie Beas hit us with something that we had to get into and from that point on you could not get me off the floor. I dunno what got into that man but he threw some old skool in there that made the crowd give him a soul train session, then hit us with a lil' bit of reggateon, backed it in to some reggae and finished it up with the slow jams. Everyone was dancing with everybody, women battled on the floor, men did the moon walk, it was a wild good time. One of those nights when you wished they would extend the "curfew" past 2 a.m.

"Before I let you gooooo"

I commend the ladies for a nice evening, venue and planning (though y'all could have done some more advertising) - but it was the DJ that made this party. Reggie you get an A!

Stay Fab! :)