Saturday, September 20, 2008

Recap: Hennessy "The Art of Mixing" | Breezeway


It had been quite a while since I had stepped into the Breezeway on Thursday night. When I rolled up around 7:15 there was already a crazy line. The door women were having trouble finding peoples names on the list or confirming people had RSVP'd. One lady argued with this one dude for like 10 minutes about whether or not he had included his +1 or not. It was borderline ridiculous. Wasn't nobody inside and we still had to wait in line for almost a half an hour.

The line outside

Once inside the setup was a bit awkward. The bar is very near to the door, and the mixing area was at the far wall. Having the bar so near to the door made it really difficult to get inside the place. And the guard rails to the bar made it difficult to keep your place in line. There were three choices of drinks, the Hennessy Mojito, Sidecar and something with ginger in it. I had the Ginger one and the Mojito. For future events, I am still stickin' with the ginger, but the Mojito wasn't all that bad.

The hors d' oeuvres were passed rather than on a table. Which proved to be a little complicated in that space. From what I saw there was spanikopita (spinach and feta stuffed in filo (pastry) dough) - it was kinda cold, and crab on skewers. The woman passing the hor d' oeuvres seemed kinda irritated to be doing it so when people would ask what something was she was like "I dunno..." sorry I asked!

More of the peeps...

On the contrary the bartenders were pretty friendly although one of the male bartenders kept making himself drinks and then giving drinks to his buddies on the side before serving everyone else. So irritating! I mean, I am all fine for hookin' people up, but be discrete! And he didn't know how to make one of the drinks...uh- you are a bartender right? At least this time they served it on the rocks.

Bartenders schleping the drinks...

It was so funny to see the progression of the night. We started out with glasses - didn't matter what kind, they served drinks in martini glasses, wine glasses, port glasses....it was hilarious. I guess by the end of the night they ran out 'cuz we ended up with plastic cups People were getting their drink on fo' sho'!

I never quite made it to the mixing station, but it seemed like people were having a good ol' time mixin' while minglin'. The spot got hype with a quickness as the DJ played a popular set of top 40 hits. The volume, though, was almost deafening. I think my ears are still ringin'.

Feeling the Henn

The crowd varied, from after-work professionals to the around-the-way. I even saw a few doo rags. But it was all good as long as the brown juice kept flowing. By 8:30 this event was a complete wrap.

I think the party at Blue Wave was a bit more conducive for this type of an event. But you can't really down something that's free and it was nice to mingle with a different crowd.


See you at the next one!