Sunday, September 21, 2008

Recap: Michael Jackson vs. Prince | DJ's at the Garden


When I entered the Micheal Jackson vs. Prince Party at DJ's at the Garden (222 Friend Street) I was greeted with a shimmery streamer curtain on the door. And saw the dance floor was filled with dancing bodies including that of the host Tito Jackson who was wearing a gleaming sliver shirt, valour pants and leopard print platforms. Yes, I said leopard print. Later to put on a purple jacket and a wig wraped with a scarf.

Party dancers and host Tito Jackson in his purple leisure suit

At the bar I made myself at home to watch the action. This was not the night to fly solo as everyone seemed to have brought their dancing partners and didn't make any room for a new comer like me. They were dancing like it was their 9-5 complete with memorization of every lyric. The age range was late 20's to mid 30's, but the international crowd was unfortunately stand-off ish.

Most people kept their attire to a disco sheik, maybe a lace glove here or there, a pack of ladies came in with the name tag PYT - which I thought was clever. A group took it a little too far with ripped t-shirts and blood on their faces, which I assumed they were meant to be zombie's from Michael Jackson's "Thriller".

More of the crowd getting down...

On the screens throughout the bar they were playing Michael Jackson videos and I forgot just how incredibly disturbing the "You are not Alone" video is without sound...talk about ewwwww!

DJ Sun-One, certainly kept the battle fair by playing a even amount of Micheal's songs with Prince's and even mixed in some other artists who sampled their hits like Rhianna and Justin Timberlake.

I also got to chat it up with Greg who assists with Downtimeonline.com let me know that the site will be up and running by tomorrow Sept. 22!! Let 'em know where you heard it first!

For the people who danced and mingled this party they certainly were having an A time. As for me - next time I'll be sure to bring my dancing partners. This was not a game.

Oh and as for the battle? Hands down - Prince.

Stay Fab! ;)