Friday, June 27, 2008

Mini Recap: R&B Lounge Session | Vintage Lounge


Your girl wanted to start her weekend off right (yes, my weekends begin on Thursdays :)) and head to one of her favorite spots, Vintage Lounge (72 Broad St, Financial District) - it's kinda like my Cheers - cue theme song...lol... I was surprised finding a parking spot was a challenge, but I still managed to make it in before 11.

Heading inside the crowd was a bit sparse, but the ratio was decent and there was a very chill, relaxed vibe.

Photo: Alonzo Harris from J. Francois

Alonzo Harris
(& Family :) ) and Band performed around 11:30 and they were jammin'. He did about 5 songs, one of my fav's being their rendition of Common's "I want you". Alonzo even had a little help from his brother on one song - the name escapes me now....J? Where is my notepad!!? - but it was so friggin' entertaining, waving hands, spins, falsetto...a really fun good time. And the guitarist was killin' it!! Loved it!!

After his set DJ Eight 2 got on the tables and I was happy that he kept the tempo in groove mode with old skool R&B and I didn't move straight into the Lolli Pop remix. Thanks man, I appreciate it.

If they try this night again, which I think they should, I would start it a bit earlier, as most people seemed to head out before 1 a.m. And I, as well as others were a bit disappointed that live music set was so short. The set up was a little awkward, I think more people would have enjoyed the live music, had they a place to sit. To make things more uncomfortable when the DJ started there were still tables on the dance floor area, which made an already small space, even smaller which discouraged people from dancing.

That aside, I enjoyed the laid back evening of live music, a nice drink, and just chillin'. That's just the way I like to spend my Thursday nights :). Hopefully the guys will do it again.

Stay Fab! :)