Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Recap: Almost Spring| 9 Alarms!

I headed out to the Hyatt for the 9 Alarms! Almost Spring event. I was so glad that I bought my ticket online for $21.47 because they were $30 at the door!

For all the money I spent to get in, I'm glad coat check was free.
I got inside early enough to see that they had a reggae room…nobody was in there but if you started feenin’ for that island flavor…that was the place to go.

The local band Soultron was pretty good; the lead singers had some pipes. Still, towards the end of their set the liquor must have kicked in because they started to sound like Sexual Chocolate from Coming to America. One of the singers said “my girl”, the other echoed “my girl…” but I guess the other guy didn't quite get what he was talking about so again he cooed “my girl” and this went on for a good 2 minutes…(“Sexual Chocolate ladies and gentlemen Sexual Chocolate!”)

(Photo: I see you playa!)

Around 11:30 PM the DJ got to the tables and I am not sure if it was DJ Lifted or DJ T Clark, but he was JAMMIN’!!

Now let’s talk about the crowd. There was everything from girls in tube dresses to chicks in full length ball gowns. To some people I asked myself, “Is that child wearing a shirt!!??” I saw more tattoos on chicks than in a prison ward. We had pimp hats with feathers, to newsboys with matching vests. From the 40-somethings to the black professional to the “gurl I know you got in with your fake ID." Your baby daddy to your future husband….ya dig? Suffice to say it was a MIX, but the place was wall to wall packed!! I'm glad it was held in the hotel ballroom so there was plenty of room to move around.

Highlight of the night: in addition to the section where you could take your picture at the event (WHY??? Did I mistakenly come to a high school dance???) They served hors d’ oeuvres; eggs, hash browns and turkey bacon. I KID YOU NOT! Eh’ I did have me some eggs and hash browns and they were slammin’ – but was it fab? Ummm that would be a no. There were only three bars with one bartender each so you know lines for a drink were long.

(Photo: Is that hot sauce??...yes it is)

Continuing with the un-fabness of this event, there was a brief altercation between a female and some guy, but security contained the fight pretty quickly and the party continued. *sigh.

Final Thoughts: This party opened my eyes to the fact that there are many different types of people in Boston… you just have to be uh- open. At a party like this you could act any kinda way…nobody was there to judge you, so if you wanna pull out that two tone weave boo…you do you.

(Photo: Chandeliers and jeans...interesting)

My advice to 9 Alarms!, you obviously know how to cater to a more local crowd so keep doin’ your thing - just don’t try to put “Grown’ n’ Sexy” or “Classy Event” to any of your party titles, ‘cuz ain’t nothing grown or classy about your events – keep it real. My advice to my readers, if you are looking for something different and aren’t feelin’ boughie stop by a 9 Alarms! party. Otherwise save your money for the let out at IHOP, it’ll be about the same.

*Oh the things I go through for y'all!

Keep it fab! :)