Monday, May 5, 2008

Recap: Pre-Cinco de Mayo | Z Square

On Saturday I hit up one of my favorite spots, Z-Square (14 JFK Street, Harvard Square, Cambridge) promoted by two of my favorites J. Francois and K. Pritty.



By 11:15 p.m. the place was already almost packed. There was a different vibe than the usual crowd of Harvard kids and young professionals. I was surprised to find so many people wearing jeans. Are we getting lax on the dress code? Even the ever dapper J. Francois was seen sporting a T…not that I minded (wink) but still…

Oddly though, there were a few people in ball gowns…yes I said ball gowns and tuxedos with cummerbunds, but I think they were just coming from an event. Even still…bring a change of clothes, it’s not that serious. Maybe they thought, “I paid money for this dress, I’m gonna wear it out!” In that case, do you boo. :)

(Boston Fab! fans with Boston Fab!)

This time the ratio was much more balanced (good lookin' out) and I saw a lot of new cats who probably just finished finals or something.

DJ Seye Daddy kept the party going although he did switch it up a lil’ bit too much...at least he did better than he has in the past. He was even cool enough to shout out The Fab Empire! Good lookin' out!! But the sound system was acting crazy again…I dunno if a speaker was blown or what but somebody needs to invest in some new equipment.

(The crowd, starting to get sweaty)

As far as the food, they did provide a buffet of nachos, which was nice that they stuck with the whole theme of pre-Cinco de Mayo and most people, including myself, had more than one plate.

The only real complaint of the night was the bar service…I don’t know if they had new staff or what have you, but it was SLOOOOWWWWW!!!  Bartenders must be able to make more than one drink at a time and can you at least remember what I ordered!! Why did the chick give me a vodka/cranberry when I ordered a vodka tonic…and why did my tonic have water in it and not tonic water? And why did I see one bartender “practicing” while I was waiting for my drink – he made a Gimlet like 4 times!! Uh dude…I’m waiting!! 

*Fab Girl Tip stick with the bartender on the far left of the bar…he has never done me wrong and he makes a mean Long Island Ice Tea…drink at your own risk. :)

Annnd...the bouncers need to get checked. One of my girls had considerable trouble at the door and was denied entrance for no reason. Grant it she did show up around 12:30, but she was willing to pay and the bouncers had let someone in right before her. That ish aggravates me!

(Promoter J. Francois on the mic)

By about 12:30 *side note, why does Boston wait so long to get hype? I mean you paid your money…why wait to have a good time!* anyways…by 12:30 it was truly the jump off. Even the promoters got into the action (wink, wink) and it got hot! I know the heat situation in Boston is always tricky, but turning the air-conditioning on would have made it a bit more of a pleasurable experience. Also for a while, it didn't really feel like a club, maybe adding some flashing lights or something will make patrons feel more partyesque rather than thinking, "should I really be dancing in a restaurant?"

Anyways… except for the incidents I mentioned above, I really had a good time. The biggest improvement was the ratio! Still gotta work on it, but I felt way more comfortable than the last J, K-Pritty joint. All in all I give the party B+/A-.

Stay Fab! :)