Saturday, May 3, 2008

Recap: First Friday's Somerville


So, I gotta admit when I rolled up to the Club Night Games (30 Washington St, Somerville), I almost turned around. The “club” is in the back of the Holiday Inn hotel and you wouldn't recognize it had it not been for the maroon awning.

When I walked in the crowd ‘s average age was around thirty-five with most of the attention being paid to the Celtics game (Sorry guys!). The décor, wow…what can I say…a throw back to 1981 with neon liquor signs and track lighting on the ceiling. The DJ was practicing his spinning and every once and a while puffs of “fog” would permeate the dance floor, was this a high school dance or First Friday’s?

I looked for the free buffet that was advertised and saw only one large fruit platter and as decorative as it was…a fruit platter does not make a buffet …for future reference.
(The fruit plate and shiny DJ table)

Once my friends arrived the next item on my list was to check out the $5 drink specials, but though the D.J. continuously repped them throughout the night, when I got to the bar they had no idea what I was talking about – (Didn’t you just hear the D.J?) – my Grey Goose and Tonic set me back $8. And it had some liquor in it. Not bad, but still…don’t say it if you don’t mean it.

My friends and I took a seat at one of the many tables and realized that nobody and I mean nobody was dancing. Like had even touched the dance floor. That was alright at 11, but by 12 I was getting worried. The DJ was so pumped off his own scratching skills he forgot we were even there for a while. Dude…aren’t you getting paid for this?
(Passing the time taking photos)
Okay so finally…the liquor sets in and I let myself be drawn into the beats as my girls and I were determined to have a good night. The DJ got better and was playing some serious old skool hits from the 90’s and mixed in some reggae. The dance floor got packed and the windin’ pairs glistened with sweat. Good thing most people didn’t stick to the upscale dress code…’cuz by last call I was wishin’ I had thrown on a t-shirt and some jeans for this mug. I also kinda wished I was from one of the islands the way the DJ kept givin’ shout outs to Trinidad – I mean can we get a shout out for the black people? For the African Americans dag…one love, man…one love.

(Party goer ready for his close up)


But I can’t lie though, although this party definitely started out mad whack by the end it proved to be worth the wait. I still gotta give this party a C+/B ‘cuz I paid $15 for about an hour of a good time.


Stay Fab! :)