Sunday, May 11, 2008

Recap: V.I.P. Party | Stix Ultra Lounge

I got myself to Stix Lounge ( 35 Stanhope Street, Back Bay) around 10:30 p.m. and headed downstairs. I really liked the ambiance of the room with a long leather couch that lined the far wall with a long bar area parallel to it. I could tell that this as a great place to kick back, relax and have intimate conversations.

I arrived after the free apps of chicken skewers and roasted potatoes so I asked a fellow patron what they thought of the food and he said, it was so-so - I guess they got what they paid for. :)


(Photo: It's me! Boston Fab!)

I got a space at the bar, but there was only one bartender so I waited a good ten minutes for my Ciroc vodka with tonic. I must admit the vodka is very very smooth but doesn’t have the same after effects of Grey Goose or my ultra favorite Belvedere. But the drink was served in an ultra swanky swerve shaped glass, which was very cool.

Around 11:30 p.m. they opened the upstairs. It looked very nice with back lighting on the ceiling over wooden panels and a bar that changed colors. You would think that the decor signified a great night, right? Ummm not so much.

It started with the coat check…uh... what coat check? Apparently there was someone who was going to come and take our coats some where…but she never showed up so I ended up stashing my coat near the DJ booth. Sooo un fab...

(Photo: BostonFab! fans looking fabulous while waiting for coat check)

DJ Dru Nyce, who apparently set up for like 2 hours, because we didn’t see him doing a doggone thing while I straight up started listening to my half-cousin's iPod. And when he finally did set up…I kept saying “Eh…what’s that song?” It was mad muffled…when you can hear more private conversations than song lyrics, there is an issue. I spoke with one of the promoters that said the DJ forgot a cord that he needed in order to access the sound system properly. My thing is – this is your event…if the DJ forgets a cord you should be hustlin' to get a cord from somewhere. I know you still made your money but dang….I didn't dance all night. :(

Then the bar…okay so you know how I get about slow bartenders, and yes there were a lot of people, but come on!! You are a bartender, the majority of your take home is in tips…if you won’t do it for me, do it for the hustle. We waited like 15 minutes for our drinks, I was like screw this I’m going back downstairs to the other bar…well that was a big fat NO because the downstairs lounge was at capacity. I didn't know different rooms in a club could be at capacity… I thought we were all V.I.P tonight - my bad. So, after a few people left, I got "access" to the downstairs lounge, and as I am leaving patrons were asking the bouncer “can I get back in later?” and the bouncer was like “Man, I dunno.” Really?? Well at least he was nice about it.

(Pre-paying will get you in, but it won't get you dancing...)

As for the crowd, - the V.I.P.-ness was not strongly felt. I mean some people really showed out and the dudes did put on suits, but I still saw some people in jeans -chillaxin. I'm like why say the dress code will be enforced if it’s not? I could have saved an outfit.

J. Francois, K. Pritty and Mr. West really dropped the ball on this one. I absolutely loved the venue, and the concept had great potential, but I just didn’t feel the usual hustle of the promoters - they were real slack with it. Maybe pre-paying isn't such a good idea if they are going to take our patronage for granted. I felt bad for Sammy 'cuz this certainly wasn't a proper farewell. Better luck in New York and safe travels, man.

I unfortunately gotta give this party a very disappointed C.

Let's hope this is just a glitch in a series usually stellar events.

Stay Fab!