Friday, May 9, 2008

Recap: The Roots After Party | Underbar,

So we walked down from the Erykah Badu concert to the Underbar (275 Tremont street) which is actually inside of Caprice on the bottom floor. The line was a little crazy. First we had to talk to a man then talk to another man in a suit, were told that we couldn’t block the side walk and I showed my ID like three times.

Then finally got downstairs...only to get into another line!!

So those of us who pre-paid had to wait in line on the left and people who were paying at the time, got to get in line on the right then go right in…errrr? Then after the hostess crossed my name off the list she gave me a ticket and I thought “Oh…okay after waiting in 2 lines and being harassed, I get compensated with a free drink, nicccceee…” So, I said to the lady with anticipation “What is this for?” She goes “You give it to the bouncer…” I’m like thinkng…the guy that is literally 2 steps away from me and watched you give me the ticket? Really? Uh have y’all heard of global warming? Save some trees and use your short term memory skills…

*Fab Girl Tip! Don't get tickets in advanced. This place is huge! There is no need to worry that you won't get in.

(The eclectic crowd)

Soooo okay finally inside, I quickly went to the bar and ordered a my staple grey goose and tonic, and it was made right. The bartender was friendly and did not make me look like an idiot when I mistakeningly heard $8 (a normal drink price), instead of $12 (what the actual price of the drink was….yeah). With drink in hand I finally got to take in the décor and wow, this place is hot!

With circular white counches strategically placed and that anybody can sit on…(VIP is on an upper level) to the bamboo covered DJ booth and beach pebble laden pillars, this place gave a cool vibe without being pretentious. There was plenty of room and since the room is circular you can see the entire club from any angle…good if you spot a cutie, bad if you have a stalker...lol This is my new favorite venue!

The crowd was mostly caucasian…where were we at?? And though it was pretty packed, me and my girl Jax managed to find a space next to the DJ booth to get our party on.


(Jax and I before we got too sweaty to be cute :))

So DJ Questlove is…can you say the sickest illest (yes illiest) DJ I have heard in a long time!!…I mean he had a point…he was really vibing mixing rock n’ roll with today’s hip hop, to serious old skool and funk…I literally thought I was going to lose my mind dancing like I didn't have to go to work in the morning!!!...which I did :( Erykah blessed us with her presence once again (wearing some crazy bottle glasses), and The Black Thought got on the mike and just killed it!


(DJ Questlove, killin' it like it's a stroll in the park)

For those of you who missed checking him out he seems to frequent the Underbar at least a couple of times a year, so be sure to catch him the next time he is in town. This was serioulsy one of the best nights I have ever had in Boston!

So fab!