Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Recap: The Blarney Stone

Fabulously submitted by A-Marie
BostonFab! Correspondent

On Friday night, I headed over to The Blarney Stone (1505 Dorchester Avenue, Dorchester) with a few of my girls. Although this restaurant/bar is known in the Dorchester community as a place to throw back Guinness with the Irish crowd I thought I'd give it a try.

After 11:30 PM on a Friday night, the place still wasn’t very crowded. At the door, we were greeted by a bouncer who asked us to show ID to get in. And as I was pulling out my money to pay the cover charge he told me there was none. NO COVER! Wow, what a different look for Boston :). I just might start a petition to get other spots to follow suit!

(Photo: Boston Fab! fans enjoying their time at The Blarney Stone)

When you walked in, you immediately noticed how big the place is. The room has wonderful raised ceilings and exposed brick. A few pool tables are mixed in with a generous dance floor. This spot is perfect to check out on a warm summer night. There is even a great patio with an outdoor bar!

At the wrap around bar complete with a very nice bartender Ben (who is a doll and had a thick Irish accent of course!), we ordered yummy Pear Martinis and by the time they kicked in I finally noticed the music.

The DJ brought it back with a homage to Boston and a mix of BBD, New Edition, and Bobby Brown! He even played Come and Talk to Me by Jodeci! I am the biggest Jodeci fan so I was in R&B heaven (and the crowd loved it too!).

(Photo: BostonFab! Correspondant A-Marie sharing a pear martini)

Overall, I had a great time at The Blarney Stone! By stepping outside of my comfort zone I discovered a new spot in the Bean! This is an ideal place on to go on a night when you just want to relax and aren't worried about being 'seen’.

I’ll definitely head back this summer!